Thursday, June 12, 2014

6th & LAST CHEMO

Friday, May 23rd - 6th and Final Chemo

It has been a quick and crazy 3 weeks since my last chemo!!!  So much so that I had forgotten to document the most important part of the last 4 months. 

For Memorial Weekend I was able to celebrate more than just a holiday, but my last day sitting in a chair hooked up to an IV for hours on end.  I cant even begin to write down for you, how much this meant to me.  I was finally able to ring that "done with treatment" bell they have mounted on the wall in the Infusion Room. I cried.  I welled up with tears and just sobbed in front of my Mom, Scott and the entire nursing staff.  I did not expect the emotional release that this day gave me.  I cried when I woke up, cried after treatment and cried and cried for days after it was over with... 

I will no longer have to endure the bullshit that chemo dishes out and this is overwhelmingly amazing!  Granted, I am completely thankful for what it has done for me.  I could never say or write that I hate chemo, it feels so wrong to hate something that is - in essence - saving my life.  Chemotherapy is in fact the reason that I will continue to live a long and full life!  And here I am tearing up just thinking about this.  Oh man what an emotional rollercoaster this whole process has been! 
 
Throughout this, I managed to keep my cancer infested life off of Facebook.  For me, it was a personal decision to really leave the cancer at the hospital.  This has been good for me mentally and has helped me power through and have some sort of control over the situation.  With that said, I had made a 9 minute picture/video that documented the chemo process and what I went through.  I posted this on my FB page the last day of chemo and really appreciated the response I had received.  It was a bit therapeutic for me to do this and of coarse... I cried when I finished making the video and when I posted it for all to see.     

Shanna's Journey Through Chemo - VIDEO
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment