Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Left Breast Mastectomy

Wednesday, July 25th - Left Breast "Under Construction"
 
The last 7 days, to be honest, have had a lot of “I hate everything” moments!  And I thought being on steroids was bad. Um No. Try going through your everyday life with a DRAINAGE TUBE in your chest, coming out of your side and stitched to your skin.  Holy heck – Those who’ve been there know exactly what I am preaching about.  Every time I think “this is the worst part”… something somehow trumps it.  And the drainage tube trumps a lot.  During a brief meltdown a few nights ago, I told Scott that “I will never complain about chemo hives ever again after experiencing this contraption.”  Poor guy, he seriously did not know how to comfort me during this hurtle and has not been able to give me a good solid hug since surgery.
 

Photo Disclaimer 
I feel like a hot mess and look like I need to eat a hamburger… or 5
 
 
On Wednesday, March 25th, I checked myself in to the hospital @ 10am for my Left Breast Mastectomy.  Scott accompanied me and then I was pleasantly surprised with a visit from my good friend Bradley!  We all sat in the waiting area cracking breast jokes and trying to get my mind off the inevitable.  At 10:30 they walked Scott & I back to the pre-op area and  I gowned-up and they accessed my IV Port for the IV, etc.  which was AWESOME!  I really do love my IV Port - and there truly is zero sarcasm in that statement.  However I look forward to the day it is gone because that will mean I am done with treatment!  So I hung out in the pre-op room with Scott until 12pm surgery time.  Dr. Prier stopped by and wrote her initials on my Left Boob and off I went.  Gotta love anesthesia.  Within 10 seconds I was out like a light and woke up 2 hours later in post-op.  They rolled me into my room and my family was waiting for me!  I don’t quite remember much of that evening due to the amazing morphine they doped me up with but I do know that I slept damn good that night.  Thursday I had to spend in the hospital until I was discharged in the early afternoon.  Before heading out I met with Dr. Prier and she said that my breast tissue slid off nicely which is a good sign.    

As I was lying in bed at home on Friday, I received a phone call at 10:45am from Dr. Prier – My pathology report from my breast tissue had come back and her exact words were “I have some great news!  Your report is in and there is zero cancer cells left in your breast tissue.  All that was left was very little scar tissue where your markers were placed on the tumor (during my core needed biopsy on 1/17) and the surrounding tissue did not test for cancer.”  I AM CANCER FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   This was of coarse amazing news but I was so loosened up on Norco that I could hardly bounce off the walls let alone get up to use the restroom.  Still, after 5 days of receiving this news, it is very surreal and honestly unbelievable.  I am still in shock.

 
 


No-Boob Shocker - To poke fun of myself, I truly don’t see much of a difference considering how tiny my boobs already are!  But to be honest, it is a loss and I have my moments.  And for now I am allowing my body to heal rather than focus on the emotional aspect of the process.  I have to tell myself every day to look at my bandage and the tube coming out of my side for infection and changes in the area rather than focus on the fact that there is zero breast tissue and my nipple is gone and holy crap, couple that with a boyish buzz haircut and no makeup and I’ve got myself an emotional meltdown waiting to happen!!!  So I choose to compartmentalize and that works for me, for now. 

Mastectomy pain wise – This is a cake walk.  I had surgery on Wednesday and was back to work the following Monday.  I am not allowed to lift very much for about 2 weeks.  The area is tender and very numb which is such an odd feeling when getting examined.  There’s a lingering ache feeling in my chest but other than that, this has been an easy recovery.  I took pain meds for about 48hours after surgery and haven’t touched them or needed them since.  I have these sensations through the entire area of tingling and pinching and twitching, almost like the nerves are trying to connect to something that isn’t there. 

Drain & Drain Removal (TMI for those who want to know or are going through this) – My drainage flow was very little.  The first 48 hours I had about 25-35 ML of fluid but after that it tapered off quickly.  I am 7 days post-surgery and had my drain tube removed today because I couldn’t stand it anymore (and because I also maintained a 10-15 ML of fluid for more than 2 days which is a sign that it can be removed.)  Don’t read what the internet tells you.  Funny thing, I completely psyched myself out and read the bad stories of infection and painful removal.  For me, it took – literally – 3 seconds.  I counted.  I was on my back on the table, she snipped the stitch that was in my skin (did not feel this at all), pressed a gauze pad over the insertion site and gently pulled it out.  I felt pressure and that was that.  I was so excited to be free of that darn thing, it has been the highlight of my week!!!  The aftermath of the removal – So far it’s been 6 hours and I have an increase ache in my chest and this feeling as if fluid is “gurgling” under my skin.  I spoke to someone I know who had a drainage tube as well and she said she felt the same thing.
 
This bra is hanging in my doctors office!   Love it!!!
 

1 comment:

  1. SOOO grateful to hear about your drain experience. I had three, and they nearly drove me insane. Had the last one removed today, 4 weeks post-surgery. And guess what? I gurgle!! Strength to you on the journey.

    ReplyDelete