Saturday, November 1, 2014

It's All About The Hair AFTER Chemo!

Saturday, November 1st 2014 - Hair After Chemo 

5 Months Post Last Chemo Hair Growth
Top Left - June 10th 2014 through Bottom Right - October 5th 2014


If there is one thing I googled more often than not, after finding out that I would be losing my hair to chemo... It was how fast does it grow BACK?!!!  Well here is a great progress photo for those in the same position - And my answer to you is that it grows back fast, however NOT fast enough!  I would read and hear things like my hair would feel as soft as bunny fur while coming in - Negative. That definitely didn't happen for me.  My texture hasn't changed, still have the some old dirty dishwater blonde that I did growing up - Except with WAY more gray!  And with that being said, my 1st Hair Dresser appointment is already scheduled for November 23rd and I cannot be more excited to get some light blonde back into my life!!  

I didn't do anything to help this growth along.  A lot of sites and blogs suggested all of these vitamins, oils, shampoo's, etc. and I just went out and bought a natural/paraben & sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.  I only wash my hair every other day or every 3 days, as I have zero oil issues.  I do not use a blow dryer or flat iron on my hair either.  The maintenance is super quick and it tends to faux hawk at the top naturally, which my little boys seem to dig!  

People often ask if I'm going to keep it short because they think its cute & it "has to be easier to upkeep now"... Well my answer is a big 'ole HECK NO to that one!  I love hair that I can use a curling iron on and braid. I am so anxious to have my long blonde hair back, I can hardly stand it.  I reminisce over photos and try hard not to do that too often, as it makes me so sad.  I miss bribing either of my two sisters to brush it and play with it every time we have Sunday Family Dinner.  I keep thinking just one more year and I will have a decent head full, to feel girly again.  Right now, you throw some reading glasses on me with no make up & this short-do and I look like a 12 year old boy about to hit puberty.  Definitely done with this phase!!!  

1 comment:

  1. It's only a matter of time before your hair is fully restored. Meanwhile, I'm glad that you are keeping your determination and your hopes up. Just keep pressing on and all the stuff that you seemed to have lost, such as your hair, would be redeemed no matter what, either in natural ways or with a bit more active intervention. All the best to you!

    Chantel Fett @ Knight And Sanders

    ReplyDelete